Bernard E. Boudreaux, Jr.
Bernard E. Boudreaux, Jr. (“Bernie”) is based in the Baton Rouge office of Jones Swanson. His principal areas of practice are in corporate representation, business negotiations, joint ventures and business dispute resolution, but he also played an important role in Jones Swanson’s case on behalf of the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East to hold oil and gas companies accountable for their role in Louisiana’s coastal land loss. Prior to joining Jones Swanson, Bernie was a partner for 10 years with Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson, LLP in Baton Rouge.
Bernie has a long and distinguished record of service in Louisiana’s government, judicial institutions and universities. From 2000 to 2004, he was Executive Counsel to Governor Murphy J. Foster, Jr., during which time he mediated disputes between the State of Louisiana and business entities such as Harrah’s, Inc., the New Orleans Saints, BP/Amoco, The National Football League and three Louisiana Native American tribes with respect to gaming contracts. Bernie also successfully mediated to conclusion the 47-year-old federal litigation as to the desegregation of the East Baton Rouge Parish Public School System. Prior to his service as Executive Counsel to the Governor, he was District Attorney for the 16th Judicial District of Louisiana, Parishes of Iberia, St. Martin and St. Mary. He was also President of the Louisiana District Attorneys’ Association from 1985 to 1986, and chaired its committee on the Louisiana Code of Evidence at the time of the code’s adoption.
Bernie served on the Louisiana State University Board of Supervisors for eight years and as its Chairman from 2005 to 2006. He was an adjunct professor of law at the LSU Law School from 2004 to 2011, adjunct professor of Law, Ohio University, 1962-1963. He has served as a member of the Louisiana Judicial College, Louisiana Supreme Court Committees of Cameras in the Courtroom, Appellate Court Delay, and Post-Conviction Relief. He is a member of the Louisiana State Law Institute.
Bernie formerly served on the Board of Directors of First National Bank in St. Mary Parish, and on the Advisory Board of Whitney National Bank. He is currently General Counsel for St. Mary Sugar Cooperative, Inc., and LASUCA. He is also a member of the Board of Directors and Vice President of AVOCA, Inc.
From 1961 to 1964, Bernie served as Captain, US Air Force, Judge Advocate General’s Department, Strategic Air Command.
- Louisiana State University, J.D., 1961
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette, B.A., 1960
- State Courts of Louisiana
- United States District Courts in Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Former Chairman of the Board of Directors and General Counsel, Sterling Sugars, LLC
- Member, Board of Directors of Doré Energy, Inc., 2009-2012
- Member, Board of Directors and Vice President of AVOCA, Inc.
- Member, LSU Board of Supervisors, 1998-2006 (Chairman 2005-2006)
- Member, Louisiana State Law Institute
- Adjunct Professor, Louisiana State University Law School, 2004 – 2011
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Ohio University, 1962-1963
- Served on the Louisiana Supreme Court committees as to cameras in the courtroom, appellate court delay, and post conviction relief
- Member, Board of Directors, Louisiana District Attorneys Association, 1978-1987, President 1985-1986, chaired its committee on the Louisiana Code of Evidence at time of adoption of the Code
- Director, Louisiana District Attorneys Retirement System 1983-1986
- Former Member, Louisiana Judicial College
- Former Member, Board of Directors of First National Bank in St. Mary Parish
- Former Advisory Board Member, Whitney National Bank
- Louisiana Justice Hall of Fame, 2006 inductee
- Named in Best Lawyers® peer-review publication for Government Relations, 2018, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyers® in the areas of Business/Corporate, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Legislative & Governmental Affairs, and Environmental Litigation 2007-2010, 2012-2017
- Inductee in the Louisiana Justice Hall of Fame
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
PUBLICATIONS & LECTURES
- Co-author of the Louisiana Sentencing Guidelines Manual, West Publishing Company, 1993
- Regular guest lecturer at CLE programs at LSU Law Center, Louisiana District Attorneys' Association, and Louisiana Attorney General’s Annual Seminar
- Lectured at the Louisiana Judicial College, Austral University Law School, Ditella University Law School, and Catholic University of Argentina Law School, Buenos Aires, Argentina, as well as at the Louisiana Attorney General's Office and the Louisiana State Bar Association
REPRESENTATIVE ENVIRONMENTAL CASES
Board of Commissioners of the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority–East, et al. v. Tennessee Gas Pipeline Company, LLC, et al.
The Maryland Company, LLC v. ExxonMobil Corporation, et al.
Sterling Sugars, Inc. v. BP American Production Company, et al.