Gladstone N. Jones, III
Gladstone N. Jones, III (“Glad”) is Jones Swanson’s founding member. In 25 years of practice, Glad has litigated both environmental and commercial cases in New York, Florida, California, Mississippi and Louisiana. He has garnered numerous honors for his work.
Glad’s first major case, Friloux v. Exxon Corporation and Campbell Wells Corporation, in 1997, prompted changes in Louisiana’s rules concerning the handling and disposal of oilfield waste. Another one of his cases, Doré Energy v. Carter-Langham et al., resulted in what was then the largest land restoration judgment in Louisiana history—$57 million. In 2010, Glad was lead counsel on Active Solutions et al. v. Dell, Inc., et al., which not only resulted in a verdict against the technology giant Dell, but also set the stage for the later criminal conviction of then-New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin. In 2013, the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority–East hired Glad to bring a case against nearly 100 oil, gas and pipeline companies in what The New York Times called “the most ambitious environmental lawsuit ever.” The SLFPA–E case prompted private landowners throughout South Louisiana to bring their own land-loss cases, and Glad represents several of those plaintiffs today.
In New Orleans, Glad serves on the boards of Xavier University and Stirling Properties. In New York City, he serves on the board of the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History.
- Tulane Law School, New Orleans, LA, 1992, J.D.
- Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS, 1986, B.A.
- Louisiana, State Courts of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member, Louisiana Association for Justice
- Member, Board of Directors, Xavier University
- Member, Board of Directors, Stirling Properties
- Member, Board of Directors, Gilder Lehrmann Institute of American History
- Selected for inclusion in 2022 Louisiana Super Lawyers® for Environmental Litigation
- Named in Best Lawyers® peer-review publication for Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions—Plaintiffs, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Ranked Band 2, Chambers USA—Environment: Litigation—Louisiana, 2015
- Named a “Local Litigation Star” and “Local Litigation Star—Louisiana” by Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2015
- Named in Louisiana Super Lawyers® for Environmental Litigation and Business Litigation, 2008-2010, 2013-2016
- Named a “Top Lawyer” in Bet-The-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and Environmental Law, New Orleans Magazine, 2013, 2014
PUBLICATIONS & LECTURES
- “The Levee Board Suit”—Tulane Law School’s Summit on Environmental Law & Policy, January 2014
- “Effective Jury Selection”—New Orleans Bar Association CLE, December 11, 2013
- “Exemplary Damages, Choice of Law, & the Escape Mechanism of Civil Code Article 3547”—Summer School Revisited CLE, Louisiana State Bar Association, December 2011; Louisiana Judicial College, Louisiana State Bar Association Summer School, June 2011; Jamaican Sunset CLE, Louisiana Judicial Council, July 2010
- “Litigation and Liability in the Workplace”—Louisiana State University Law School, September 2011
- “Potential Claimants and Damages under OPA and Louisiana State Law”—Gulf Coast Oil Spill Symposium, Louisiana State Bar Association, May 2010
REPRESENTATIVE COMMERCIAL CASES
Ducote Jax Holdings, LLC v. Bradley
Active Solutions et al. v. Dell, Inc., et al.
Conwill v. Greenberg Traurig, LP, et al.
REPRESENTATIVE ENVIRONMENTAL CASES
Board of Commissioners of the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority – East et al. v. Tennessee Gas Pipeline Company, LLC, et al.
Sterling Sugars, Inc. v. BP American Production Company et al.
The Maryland Company, LLC v. ExxonMobil Corporation et al.
Doré Energy Corporation v. Carter-Langham, Inc., et al.
Fox et al. v. Cheminova, Inc., et al.
Clarice Friloux et al. v. Exxon Corporation and Campbell Wells Corporation
The Sweet Lake Land & Oil Company et al. v. Union Oil Company of California