Peter N. Freiberg
Peter began his legal career as an Assistant District Attorney with the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. Since then, he has litigated a wide variety of cases, on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, in state and federal courts, at trial and on appeal. Most of his trials have been before juries. His cases include a large mass tort, numerous high-end personal injury cases, admiralty and maritime tort and commercial matters, environmental damage claims, employment discrimination cases, commercial and securities matters (including shareholder and partnership disputes), corporate dissolutions, fraud cases, and numerous trust and estate matters. At Jones Swanson, Peter works on commercial and environmental cases.
Peter has been a long-standing Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy at Tulane Law School since 1995. He is rated by his peers through Martindale-Hubbell as AV Preeminent, and has been named in New York Super Lawyers® (Business Litigation) every year since 2013. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Metropolitan Crime Commission.
- Tulane Law School, New Orleans, LA, 1989, J.D. (cum laude)
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1986, B.A.
- Louisiana, State Courts of Louisiana
- New York, State Courts of New York
- Connecticut, State Courts of Connecticut
- New Jersey, State Courts of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy, Tulane Law School, 1995-2005
- Office of the New York County District Attorney, New York, NY, 1989-1994
- Host family: A Better Chance Educational Organization
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Association
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell, 2002-2019
- Named in New York Super Lawyers® for Business Litigation, 2013-2019
PUBLICATIONS & LECTURES
- “Assumption of Risk Defense Protects Referees”—New York Law Journal, February 14, 2014
- “Death and Taxes—and Cliffs? New York State’s Estate Tax Exemption and the Financial ‘Cliff’ and ‘Slide’ for the Unwary”—Westchester Lawyer, February, 2016
- “Medical Reality TV Shows? In-House Media Promotion? Not without the Patient’s Permission”— Westchester Lawyer, December, 2016
REPRESENTATIVE COMMERCIAL CASES
- John F. Sitar v. Steven Sitar
- Tommy Badeaux v. Roger Goodell
- Neil C. Robinson v. Plaro Estates, Inc. et al.
- Summit at Pomona, Ltd., et al. v. Village of Pomona, et al.
REPRESENTATIVE ENVIRONMENTAL CASES
- In Re New Orleans Train Car Leakage Fire Litigation
REPRESENTATIVE Personal injury CASES
- Steven Rispoli, et al. v. Long Beach Union Free School District
- Vincent Mattaliano v. Comstock Yacht Sales and Marina
- Everett A. Bear v. Pellerin Construction, Inc.