John T. Arnold
John T. Arnold is not only an attorney but also a scientist, with a rich background in environmental stewardship and natural resource management. He is based in Jones Swanson’s Baton Rouge office.
Licensed since 2007, John focuses his practice on environmental law matters. He has represented numerous business and property owners in cases involving ownership disputes and property damages resulting from oil and gas exploration and production, as well as in litigation related to ownership of waterbottoms within Louisiana. Before joining Jones Swanson in 2015, John ran his own law office, where he interfaced with numerous private landowners, state and federal governmental agencies, and corporate entities.
John also has a master’s degree in wildlife science. In his graduate research, he considered the human dimensions of ecology, focusing particularly on characteristics of wildlife law violators and their attitudes toward conservation officers. He has worked on numerous waterfowl research projects from Canada to Louisiana. For six years, he managed the legal division of a nationally recognized environmental consulting firm, Coastal Environments, Inc. He has also assisted with project planning, contract review, and site evaluation and selection of construction for several coastal restoration projects.
- Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, MS, 2007, J.D.
- Mississippi State University, Starksville, MS, 2005, M.S. / Wildlife Science
- Mississippi State University, Starksville, MS, 2001, B.S. / Wildlife Science
- Louisiana, 2008
- Mississippi, 2007
- Louisiana, State Courts of Louisiana
- Mississippi, State Courts of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts of Louisiana
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Member, The Mississippi Bar
PUBLICATIONS & LECTURES
“Examining the Public Trust Doctrine’s Role in Conserving Natural Resources on Louisiana’s Public Lands. 2017,” Tulane Environmental Law Journal, (in press)
As a scientist, John has provided expert opinions with nationally renowned scientists with diverse areas of expertise on matters requiring integration of multiple scientific disciplines:
- Gagliano, S.M., J. Battle, W. Wilson, J. Arnold, G. Barbee, J. Rogers, and G. Castille. 2011. Investigation of Environmental Impacts of Oil and Gas Activities on the Houssiere Property, Acadia Parish, LA. Expert Report.
- Gagliano, S.M., K.M. Wicker, J. Battle, G. Wang, G.J. Castille, and J.T. Arnold. 2010. Navigability Assessment of Stump Lagoon in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana. Expert Report.
- Pearson, C., J.T. Arnold, and M. Tinsley. 2010. Underwater Investigations of Activities Related to Barge-Mounted Drilling Rig Access in East Galveston Bay, Galveston County, Texas. Expert Report.
Board of Commissioners of the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority – East, et al., v. Tennessee Gas Pipeline Company, LLC, et al.
DeFelice Land Company, LLC v. ConocoPhillips Co., et al.
BCR Holdings, Inc. v. Baby Oil, Inc., et al.
Harold J. Guidry, et al. v. BP America Production Company, et al.
Charles W. Fasterling, et al. v. Hilcorp Energy Co., et al.